Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tomato Paste


I made dinner for Toasticles twice this week -- some kind of a record. On Monday it was chicken tacos. I bought a package of boneless, skinless chicken that had 3 breasts and 6 thighs. I used the breasts for the tacos, which left the thighs. I also had a leftover item that really bugs me -- a can of tomato paste with one tablespoon removed. (I couldn't find the kind in a tube.) Usually that little can sits in the refrigerator with its aluminum foil cap until it gets all crusty and/or fuzzy. This time I was determined to get more use out of it. It only cost 69 cents, but still. And I had some limes.

I found a recipe on Food Network for a sort of BBQ sauce with tomato paste, honey, garlic, lime juice & zest. I made it and poured it over the thighs and baked. Very good! The limes added a fresh, tangy taste. Toasty said, “This isn’t bad,” which for him is the pinnacle of praise. The Nobel Prize for cooking. I will make it again. It’ll be good over wings or ribs, too.

1 comment:

  1. sounds delish! we have tons of half-empty cans of fuzzed-over-mystery-contents in our fridge. grrr. i'll have to check out recipes online from now on!

    ReplyDelete