Friday, July 24, 2009

Buffalo Wings

Last night I brought home wings from Original Buffalo Wings in San Mateo. Why are chicken wings so good? They’re messy, there’s not a lot of meat on a wing, but somehow they appeal to my craving for comfort food. I could eat them any way – fried, barbecued, buffaloed, whatever. A big package of wings from the supermarket thrown into a pan and baked with BBQ sauce makes an easy, cheap dinner.

At OBW they have several sauce options, like honey-mustard and teriyaki, but I always ask for the mild sauce. It’s not hot but seasoned perfectly, with a healthy dose of vinegar that I believe causes addiction. It’s hard to stop eating them. I got the Double Dozen – 26 wings – for me and Toasticles, and we chowed down until we were sticky all over, and there are still some left for whoever gets there first. Fries and cole slaw are good sides, and of course you get blue cheese dressing and celery and carrot sticks. I’ve never had buffalo wings in Buffalo, so I don’t know how authentic these are, but does authenticity really matter when you are up to your elbows in deliciousness? Just remember – DO NOT spill the sauce on your clothes or anything else of value, because you will never get the stain out. I’m not sure why – maybe there’s fluorescent orange paint in there.

OBW has an extensive menu with sandwiches and burgers, but why would you order anything besides wings? It’s like going to a place called Joe’s House of Liver ‘n’ Limas and ordering steak au poivre. Probably not a good idea. They have several locations around the Bay Area, but I don’t think it actually qualifies as a chain.

As I was waiting for my order I looked across the street and noticed that Gator’s Neo Soul Café seems to have closed. Darn! I never got to try it. I love soul/Cajun food.

Original Buffalo Wings
150 South B StreetSan Mateo, CA 94401(650) 375-8828
www.originalbuffalowings.biz

No comments:

Post a Comment