Friday, December 11, 2009

Tadich Grill




Tadich Grill does not need me to review it. It’s an institution, the classic San Francisco restaurant experience. Think Sam Spade, 1920’s or earlier. Lots of dark wood surrounding individual booths that make you feel like you belong to the special club. Tiny white tiles on the floor. Waiters nearing or past retirement age. The best sourdough bread in the City. Those elements alone would qualify Tadich as THE San Francisco restaurant, but wait, they also serve seafood!

This is not a trendy place with fish cheeks poached in exotic mushroom foam. The food is straight up old school as the kids would say, if the kids went to Tadich. Mostly it’s business guys having a side of sand dabs with their martinis. I did have an octopus salad with an Asian-style gingery dressing when I ate there recently with my son, Crouton, and his wife, Cupcake. But the fare is mainly plain, with large portions. We shared the fried calamari appetizer, and I admit that I prefer the garlicky versions you find elsewhere, like Steamers in Los Gatos. Crouton had the Boston clam chowder that is thick enough to plaster walls, and the sand dabs. Cupcake had the cioppino which looked like the best deal on the table. I had a crab-shrimp casserole in a zesty tomato sauce. We were too full for dessert. Our waiter had a pleasant, witty attitude which is sometimes hard to come by among the cranky old men waiting tables there. I gave him a nice tip and then we sailed out to another SF tradition, the deYoung Museum.

So to sum it up, it’s the whole package that makes Tadich special – the location, the ambiance, the sourdough bread, and the food. Take any one away and it would be just another place to eat.

Tadich Grill
240 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
(415) 391-1849

1 comment:

  1. I'll always love that place because it makes me feel like a native, almost like I'm taking part in a piece of San Francisco's history.

    ReplyDelete