Friday, October 30, 2009

Weird Cars




Yesterday was weird car day. In the parking lot at work I saw an orange Tango. It’s an electric car that is essentially a motorcycle with a shell. Check out the web page because my picture does not really show the thinness and strange shape. http://www.commutercars.com/ It’s said not to tip over because the batteries are on the bottom, giving it a low center of gravity, but I don’t know. Looks scary to me. Also it can split lanes – you know how motorcycles can (at least in CA) go between lanes of stalled traffic? That’s lane splitting. I have always thought that was dangerous – you never know when a car is going to suddenly make a move into your path. So I guess there’s a reason why I’m not a motorcycle enthusiast. (But I love watching “Sons of Anarchy.”)

On the way home I saw a hearse that had been converted for regular use. Every bit of chrome had been removed from the surface of the car – including the door handles. How entrance is achieved I can only guess – through the window, like NASCAR? Anyway, removing the metal must have left holes and depressions, but every such hollow had been filled in and then sanded absolutely smooth, so you would never know anything had been there. The vehicle was painted a dark matte grey – like primer, but I suspect that no top coat was planned. The tail lights were a narrow strip just above the rear bumper that reminded me of the Cylons from the original “Battlestar Gallactica.” The complete effect was total creepiness, compounded by the license plate: 1 WA RIDE. I wish I had a picture, but I was driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment